Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Friday the Thirteenth

This is how my day started out:

Me: Joe!
Joe (the gas man): Vera!
Me: Do you know if somebody puked in this car?
Joe: Two days ago.
Me: Two days ago?
Joe: Yeah.
Me: It still smells.
Joe: Yeah.
Me: I think I'll get an air freshener.
Joe: I would give you one if I had one but I don't have one.
Me: Thanks.

Luckily I had a vanilla air freshener in my bag. I had just been waiting for the right moment to use it. I also went by my place and picked up the air freshener spray I sometimes use at home. I sprayed it in the car throughout the day, but sometimes I still caught a whiff of the puke that had been deposited two days ago.

None of my customers complained though.

Towards the end of my shift I picked up three Australians at a hotel near Fisherman's Wharf. Two women and one man. The man stood outside the car for a minute, staring at me through the driver side window, smiling big.

"It's a girl driver! Isn't that something."

"Yeah, that's really something."

He kept staring and smiling. Finally he got in the car. One of the women said

"It's a girl driver and it smells really good in here too."

"It smells good in here? I'm so glad."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home