Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Six Irish guys

On Monday I was driving two women to the Kaiser building on Geary and Divisadero. The younger one of them was pregnant, I believe, and kind of ornery. When I was waiting at the red light to make a left turn on Geary off of Divisadero, a young blond guy at the bus stop who seemed to be in a really good mood tried to get my attention. I made a circular motion with my hand and said "Go to the hospital!" The guy and several other young guys crossed the street towards the van I was driving and tried to slide open the door. When they saw the women in the back of the van they said "Oh." I said "Go to the hospital around the corner. That's where I'm taking these ladies and then I can take you."

When the light turned green, I turned left and passed the young guys walking up towards the hospital. I dropped off my passengers. Six young guys piled into the van. They were all boisterous and had accents. I said "Are you guys from Australia?" "No, Ireland," they said. The blond guy who had waved at me before was sitting next to me in the front. He said

"We're going to Broadway."

"Broadway and what?"

"Broadway and Polk."

"Are you guys all drunk?"

"A little."

"That's cool. I'm glad I get to drive around drunk people for once. I never get to do that because I only drive during the day. So it's nice that I have you guys today."

They asked me what my name was. They said that I was cute. They asked each other "Isn't she cute?" "Yeah, she is a cute taxi driver." They asked me to come have a beer with them. It would be on them. I told them that I couldn't because the cab was due back at the garage in half an hour.

When we got to Broadway and Polk, Sunday Bloody Sunday came on on the radio. The guy sitting next to me turned up the volume. He said "We have to sit here until the end of the song."

After they got out of my cab, I drove the car back to the garage. Then I decided to drive my own car back to the bar where I dropped them off. Why the hell not? They were still there. When they saw me they said "Taxi driver!" One of them said "Don't call her taxi driver. Her name is Vera." I said "You can call me taxi driver. I don't mind." They bought me a Hefeweizen. I talked to each of them a little bit and found out all of their names. Finnian, James, Enya, Vinnie, David, John.

I hung out with them for about an hour and a half. It was really fun. I can't believe I went back. I'm really glad I did. Afterwards, I felt kind of high as if I had just done something really out of the ordinary. I suppose I had.

5 Comments:

At 8/27/2006 12:42:00 PM, Blogger willotoons said...

awesome! how fun. :)

 
At 8/27/2006 03:17:00 PM, Blogger Cabbie X said...

Brave girl! I've never hung out with anyone I've met in my cab, not in 7 years of driving. They are either total strangers, or if they are regulars, I know entirely too much dirt on them! Enjoying the stories, keep up the good work!

 
At 8/28/2006 08:47:00 PM, Blogger Paradise Driver said...

I have just discovered your blog.

I'll be adding it to my links.

Good stories!!

 
At 9/04/2006 11:20:00 AM, Blogger Paradise Driver said...

Are you on vacation?

Missing your great stories.

 
At 9/16/2006 11:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, add me to the pile. I'm curious, are you making money from driving a taxi?
I'm seriously needing to get outta debt. LB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home