Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Breakfast and lunch

I picked up a guy on Market Street. He had a bag of food with him.

"You don't mind if I eat in here, do you?"

"No."

"I'm going to 18th and Harrison."

"Okay."

He ate throughout the entire ride. My nose kept detecting different kinds of delicious food smells. I was about to ask him what he was eating but I didn't. A Beastie Boys song was playing on the radio. The guy said

"I love the Beastie Boys."

"I know, me too."

"I think they were way ahead of their time."

"Totally."

[pause]

"What's your favorite Beastie Boys song?" I asked.

"Back to Cali."

"Oh yeah? I don't know that one. Which album is it from?"

"That I don't know."

"Is it from their earlier stuff or their later stuff?"

"Mid."

"Ah, haha."

[pause]

"My favorite song is So Whatcha Want." I continued.

"What?"

"So Whatcha Want. You know, so whatcha whatcha whatcha want?"

"Ah, that one, yes."

"I also really like Sabotage."

"Uh-huh."

[pause]

"Back to Cali goes like this. I'm going back to Cali I'm going back to Cali I don't think so."

"What? Hahaha. I don't think so?"

"Yeah. Haha."

[pause]

"This is so depressing. I ate lunch and breakfast in a cab today."

"Really?"

"Yeah, just now. I just didn't have enough time today."

"You just ate breakfast AND lunch? Right now?"

"Yeah."

"Breakfast AND lunch? Both in a row?"

"Yeah, that's what I did."

"That. Is. So. Funny. Breakfast AND lunch."

"I think it's depressing."

"I think it's hilarious."

And in that moment I knew that he was going to be the fare I was going to write about today.

1 Comments:

At 10/17/2006 07:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But 'Goin Back to Cali' is an LL Cool J song! (Notorious B.I.G also has a song by that name, but he never says "I don't think so" in it.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home