Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

A mission

A girl got in at Polk and Vallejo. She said "Mariposa and Pennsylvania, please." I said "Okay." Then neither of us said anything for a long time. I felt like I should start a conversation because she seemed like a cool person. But then Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode came on the radio so I decided to enjoy the silence. After a few more blocks I suddenly knew that she was psychic and that I had to tell her this. I felt shy though. I looked at her face in the rear view mirror. I thought that she didn't look like she wanted to hear this right now. But on 7th Street just past King I finally said

"Did you know...that you have psychic powers?"

"Me?"

"Yeah."

"No."

"You didn't know that?"

"No. How can you tell?"

"I can just feel it. So you've never used them?"

"No."

"You should start using them."

"Okay."

"Might as well, right?"

"Yeah, if I have them."

"Yeah."

"I mean, I know that I have intuition."

"Yeah, that's part of it. So you've been using that?"

"Yeah."

"Good."

Right after she got out, Read My Mind by the Killers came on the radio. I felt like I had done the right thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home