Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Psychic Valentines


My Moo MiniCards arrived!
Originally uploaded by Verabug.
Today I gave out some personalized Psychic Valentines to my taxi passengers. Some of them just received a generic one that said

TO: [their name]
FROM: Vera
BECAUSE: You were in my cab today!

But there were a few passengers who received a special message because they were special.

The first one was my regular passenger Tony, who calls me every Sunday for his early Monday morning ride to the airport. This is what his Psychic Valentine said:

TO: Tony
FROM: Vera
BECAUSE: You call every week!

Then there was Deborah-Jean. She got into my cab and said

"This is kind of a weird request. I don't normally ask cab drivers to do this but.. I haven't had any coffee yet this morning. Would you mind stopping somewhere so I can get coffee? I don't even care where."

"Sure, no problem at all."

"Is there something on the way?"

"Oh yeah, lots of places. How about Ritual on Valencia? That's kind of on the way. Have you ever been there?"

"Yeah, a long time ago. Sure, that's great."

"I just had coffee from there earlier."

"Another great place is Philz. You should go there sometime. He makes them one cup at a time."

"Oh yeah, I've been to Philz. I love that place. Do you want to go there instead? It's kind of on the way too."

"No, Ritual is great."

When I stopped in front of Ritual, she asked me if I wanted a refill. I said no thanks. When she came back out, she handed me a small paper bag. She said "I got you some zucchini bread."

This is what her Psychic Valentine said:

TO: Deborah-Jean
FROM: Vera
BECAUSE: You have great taste in coffee!

Finally, there was Damon. He asked me what had brought me to San Francisco. I said

"A relationship. We were living in Virginia and really wanted to move back to Los Angeles. But that didn't work out. We ended up moving here, and now I am so happy to be here and not in Los Angeles. Sometimes life knows what you need better than you do. If it had been up to me, we would have moved back to Los Angeles, but luckily life had me move here."

"Yeah, sometimes when things don't work out, there is a good reason for that."

"I'm so glad you just said that! I recently had a relationship that didn't work out and it really bugs me. But I just have to remember that there is probably a very good reason it didn't work out, and I will eventually find out what it is."

A little later I told him that in the fall I want to convert my studio apartment into an open studio to show my art. I said

"I don't know why I didn't think to do that last year. I should have."

"You were probably in a relationship then, huh?"

"Ha! You are good. You are getting at all my stuff."

This is what his Psychic Valentine said:

TO: Damon
FROM: Vera
BECAUSE: You said all the right things!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home