Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

My eyebrow piercing

So my passengers are a part of every major life decision now. On November 29, mid-afternoon, I picked up a girl about my age. I drove her from Bartlett Street in the Mission to somewhere on the downhill side of Potrero Hill. When we crossed Mission Street, I turned around and said

"So I'm thinking about getting my eyebrow pierced."

"Oh yeah, you totally should."

"Yeah? I have been thinking about it for a couple of weeks. And it just occurred to me a few minutes ago that I think I want to do it today. After I'm done driving this thing."

"You definitely should. I think it would go very well with your facial features."

"Thanks."

"Which side are you thinking about getting it on?"

"The right. Because I have my nose pierced on my left. I like to balance it out, you know?"

"Yeah. Go to Body Manipulations."

"Oh yeah? That's where I got my nose pierced too."

"You should definitely get it done there."

After I dropped off my taxi, I drove straight to Body Manipulations and got my right eyebrow pierced.

So I have been running and driving around with a pierced eyebrow for a couple of months. Sometime in December I picked up an androgynous young man on 24th and Church. He had his eyebrow pierced too. I said

"Hey, you have your eyebrow pierced. So do I!"

"Oh yeah! I like eyebrow piercings."

"Me too! I have mine on the right and you?"

"Me too!"

Then, yesterday, I had two heavy set-men from Fresno in my cab. They were brothers, probably in their sixties, and in town for the Fancy Food Show. The more talkative one said

"Did that hurt?"

"No, not at all."

"Do you like it?"

"Yeah. I guess you don't--"

"Does your boyfriend like it?"

"I don't have a boyfriend."

"You would have more boyfriends if you didn't have that."

"Ah."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home