Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

The energy worker

I was driving one of the newer vans, #55. It had automatic sliding doors. You push a button, and the door slides open. You push the button again, and the door slides closed. But for the button to work, the doors have to be unlocked and the car has to be in Park. Also, sometimes, even when the doors were unlocked and the car was in Park, the button didn't seem to do anything. The button was fickle, to say the least. Or maybe I just didn't know how to work it.

I was dispatched to Leavenworth and Greenwich. Just an address, no apartment number. Since there are many large one-family homes in that area of the city, I wasn't surprised. But when I walked up to the front entrance, I noticed that this was an apartment building with many different units. I got back inside the car and asked the dispatcher if there was an apartment number or a code number for this address. He said no but that he would call the customer for me. After a minute he said "I got no answer. This order is brandnew. I would give it a minute and then take off."

After about a minute, I put the car back in Drive and was about to leave. That's when I saw a woman hurrying towards my car from the side of the building. I put the car back in Park, unlocked the doors and pushed the magic button to slide the door open. It slid open, and the woman with the curly hair started to get in the car, but the door started closing on her. She stepped back and laughed. She looked at me with what I would describe as an "I don't know what's wrong with YOUR car but I am going to laugh and be friendly anyway" look. I felt it was somewhat passive-aggressive.

I pushed the button again, and the door opened again, and the woman was able to get in.

"Can you take me to Union and Laguna, please?"

"Sure. Sorry about the door. I haven't quite figured out how to work it yet."

"That's okay. I'm used to it. I'm an energy worker. I short-circuit electronics all the time."

"Oh. Really?"

"Yeah, I can't even work with computers at all."

"Wow."

"Yeah."

"What kind of energy work do you do?"

"Oh, all kinds. Polarity therapy, Reiki, craniosacral therapy,..."

"Do you also do theta healing?", which is something I had heard about recently and been very intrigued by.

"Yeah, I do that too."

"So what happens in a theta healing session?"

"I go up to the person's theta and release blocks from their subconscious."

"Do you have a website?"

"No. I don't advertise. I'm like the secret garden. If people find me, they find me."

"Do you have business cards?"

"I occasionally give out business cards."

"Well, I found you, right?"

"I think I have some in my office. If you wait, I'll go in and get one."

"Okay."

When I pulled up in front of the building she told me to, she got out and I waited. She was back within 30 seconds. I pushed the button to slide open the door. But she went straight for the shotgun door. It was mechanical, not electronic, and she opened it. She handed me her business card. It had her name on it and her phone number and said "Holistic Therapist & Reiki Master."

"Just so you know, I'm booked up four to six weeks in advance."

"Okay. Thanks."

"What's your name?"

"Vera."

"Nice to meet you, Vera."

"You too."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home