Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

I'm a DJ too

On the days I drive a car with a CD player, I am not only a taxi driver but I am also a DJ. I get to choose what kind of music to play for my passengers. And sometimes my choice of music makes for conversation.

The other day I was listening to the 101 album by Depeche Mode. A girl got into my cab.

"What's this, Depeche Mode?"

"Yeah. It's the 101 album."

"I love Depeche Mode."

"Me too. Unfortunately--you know how the 101 album is a double disc? I lost the other CD. Last week I was listening to it while driving, and I left it in the cab at the end of my shift and never got it back."

"Aw, that sucks. I think I lost that same CD too. It's disc b, right?"

"Yes! You lost that too?"

"Yeah, I did. I have no idea what happened to it."

"Wow, I feel so much better now. We're in this together."

A day later, I was listening to Kiss me, Kiss me, Kiss me by The Cure. A guy who seemed to only speak broken English got into my cab. We didn't talk. As he got out, he said "Nice music!" That made me smile for two reasons:

1. I was glad that he had enjoyed the music.
2. I already knew that he had enjoyed it. I could feel it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home