Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Thanksgiving Day

I had to work on Thanksgiving Day to make up for some recent time off I had taken. Because holidays tend to be much slower than business days, the leasing fee for the day was only $50. I normally pay $96 to have the car for the day.

It was indeed a rather slow day, and I took several knitting breaks and one to call my dad, whose birthday it was. An interesting development that day was that the valet/doorman at a hotel asked for my card. I gave it to him, and he called me four or five times that day to have me pick up fares at the hotel. If it hadn't been for his calls, I would have been very bored that day.

Somehow I ended up making more money than on any day before this one. I think it was because people were much more generous with their tips. It was Thanksgiving, and many people felt like giving thanks to the poor cab drivers who had to work on Thanksgiving. I actually didn't feel sorry for myself at all for having to drive. I was having a blast driving on Thanksgiving Day. It was a gorgeous day, there was no traffic anywhere and the road was all mine, all my passengers were in great moods because they were with their families and friends, and like I said, the tips were way above average. And I was done at 4:30pm, just in time to go to my friend's house for dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home