Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Dreamy

I picked him up at 24th and Noe. He had dark hair and a little goatee and really big eyes. He reminded me of Trent from Daria, except with much bigger eyes. He looked about 28. He was wearing a dark blue T-shirt with a Hello Kitty head on it. Underneath it, it said "Since 1976."

"Hi. Happy new year."

"Happy new year."

"I need to go to Daly City."

"Awesome."

"Why?"

"Because that's far."

"Ah."

[...]

"What's your name?"

"Why?"

"Because you're not the typical cab driver."

"Vera."

"Vera?"

"Yeah, as in Aloe Vera."

"That's a weird name."

"You think?"

"Yeah."

"What's your name?"

"Soren."

"Your name is not Soren."

"Yes, it is."

"Soren, like the Danish name?"

"Yeah, I think it's Danish."

"That is not your name."

"Yes, it is."

"That is, like, my favorite name in the world."

"Wow." He smiled and exposed huge shiny teeth. It was as if somebody had turned on the light in the room, except that it wasn't a room but this guy's face. He didn't look like Trent from Daria anymore.

[...]

"You know, I was born in '76." I pointed at his T-shirt.

"So was I!"

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. That's one of the main reasons I like Hello Kitty."

"What month were you born?"

"July. You?"

"May. Beginning or end of July?"

"July 8."

"Nice. So you're a cancer."

"Yep. I'm very emotional."

"How so?"

"Well, like I went to this huge New Year's party last weekend. Everybody there was on drugs, including myself. And suddenly I felt really insecure. I started asking myself all these questions. Like 'Who am I?', 'Do I suck?', 'Does anybody even like me?' You know?"

"Yeah, I know. So what are you going to do about those insecurities?"

"I don't know. Probably just notice them and hope for the best."

"Good idea."

[...]

"I used to own this album." The album that was playing in the CD player of the cab was World Clique by Deee-Lite.

"You like Deee-Lite?"

"Yeah, I love Deee-Lite."

"You actually went to a record store and picked up this album?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"It seems like such a girl album."

"What, guys can't buy Deee-Lite albums?"

"Of course they can. I just didn't think that they would want to. But I'm glad that you wanted to."

"Ah."

"So, you said you used to own this album. What happened?"

"Well, when I was in college, I used to work as a janitor at this hospital. And I would bring a boombox and listen to music while I worked."

"They let you do that?"

"Yeah. And one time I was playing World Clique, and this old sick lady I had been talking to told me she really liked the music, so I gave it to her."

"Awww, that's nice. So what's your favorite Deee-Lite song?"

"It would have to be Picnic in the Summertime."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah."

"I think that's my favorite too. Because of the video. Have you seen the video?"

"I have actually, but not until recently. I found it online."

"I first saw it in 1995 on the German TV channel Viva. They had this late night show called Berlin House. I think it was also called House TV at some point. And they played lots of electronic music videos. I loved that video so much. The knee-highs and the bubbly T-shirt and stuff."

"Yeah, I want that shirt! In fact, I once posted on an online message board to see if anybody knew where I can get that shirt."

"Nuh-uh!"

"Yes, I did."

"Was anybody able to help you?"

"No. They just said 'Dream on' and I said 'Okay, I will'."

[...]

"You know who you remind me of?"

"No, but I think you are going to tell me."

"Trent from Daria."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"The cartoon character?"

"Yeah."

"You know who you remind me of?"

"No."

"Do you know Blythe, the doll?"

"Blythe, as in This is Blythe?"

"Yes!"

"I love Blythe!"

"You remind me of her."

"What? Why?"

"Because you have really big eyes and the hair and--"

"I have big eyes? You think I have big eyes?"

"Yeah. And have you seen the latest Blythe book, called Blythe Style?"

"No, but it's on my wishlist!"

"Well, there is this one shot in there where Blythe is wearing a scarf and a jacket kind of like the ones you're wearing, and her hair is black and wavy. I think that's why you remind me of her."

"Wow, that is like the best compliment ever. I have always wanted to look like Blythe."

"Well, now you do."

[...]

"Do you get hit on a lot in the cab?"

"Not really."

"No?"

"No. It happened maybe once."

[...]

"Um. So, uh."

"What?"

"Uhhhhh. What time does your shift end?"

"Five. Why?"

"Ummmmm. Do you want to meet for coffee after that?"

"Okay."

5 Comments:

At 1/04/2007 12:59:00 PM, Blogger Frau Haselmayer said...

...hope this story is continued :)

 
At 1/04/2007 08:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go girl!

 
At 1/05/2007 02:41:00 PM, Blogger L said...

ooo...sounds like a cutie... and then

 
At 1/05/2007 09:48:00 PM, Blogger Paradise Driver said...

Will this be a continuing saga or did it end there, or there, or there?

Anyway. I hope it was all you wished for.

 
At 1/13/2007 08:57:00 PM, Blogger willotoons said...

nice! is it Sirron?

Yes, please update us. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home