Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Toby

A familiar-looking guy was standing at the bus stop at Geary and Park Presidio. I had seen him at Ritual two days earlier. He was skinny and had dark hair that was short in the back and longer in the front with wisps of it hitting his cheek right below his eye. He was wearing a striped sweater.

I said

"Oh my god, it's you!"

"Ummm yeah.. It's me."

"You don't remember, do you?"

"Ummm. I don't think so. Remember what?"

"I saw you at Ritual the other day."

"Oh."

"Wednesday night? You were there with a friend, sitting on the couch."

"Oh. Yeah. I was."

"I was sitting across from you guys."

"Oh. Hi."

"I'm Vera."

"I'm Toby."

"Nice to meet you."

"You too."

"So where are you going?"

"Mission and Fremont."

"Oh. You work over there?"

"Yeah."

"Doing what?"

"Project management."

"Ah."

[...]

"I'm so glad you're in my cab!"

"How come?"

"Because when I saw you at Ritual, I thought you looked interesting."

"Oh. Thanks."

"You like the Cure, don't you?"

"Ummm, sure. They're okay. Why?"

"Because I can just tell."

"Ah."

"I love them, by the way."

"Yeah, they're okay."


When we were at Mission and Fremont, I repeated

"I'm so glad you were in my cab today!"

"Yeah, it's crazy." He giggled. I handed him my business card.

"I'm giving you my card because I want to go out on a date with you."

"Oh. Thanks." He smiled shyly.

"Have fun managing projects today."

"Thanks. Have fun.. driving a cab. And I'll talk to you.. later." He waved my business card as he got out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home