Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Apparently that was all he had

Right after I had made a right onto Taylor from Market, a woman flagged me down. She had a cell phone pressed to her ear and looked surprised that I stopped. She hopped in and said "Can you take me to California and Larkin, please." Then she said into the phone "Baby, baby, where are you right now? ---- Okay. ---- Okay, I'm coming right now."

"Can you go to Golden Gate and Jones, please?" she said to me.

"O...kay." It was a block away.

"Please. Thank you."

"O...kay. And then we're still going to California and Larkin?" I was a little nervous. We were in Crack Central.

"Yes. We're just going to pick him up. He'll be waiting at the corner. A black man. Very handsome."

I made a left on Turk, a left on Jones and another left on Golden Gate. She told me to pull over on the left. I heard her say into her phone "Baby, baby, where are you? I'm here with the taxi but I don't see you. ---- Please get into the taxi at the corner."

On the sidewalk was a pile of a human slumped against the wall. I looked into the rear view mirror and saw a hand holding a cell phone. The hand was attached to a tall body getting into my car.

"So everything went well with you today?" the handsome black man said to the woman in the backseat as he slid in. He seemed to be in a good mood.

"Yes yes, " she said. "I just needed to find an ATM. How much is it?"

I didn't catch his response but I did hear him say "Here."

"Is that all you have?" she said.

"Yeah," he said.

"Can you pull over and let him out?"

"Pull over? Right here?" I said. We were at Taylor again, just past Turk.

"Yes, please just let him out." I pulled over on the left.

"You guys have a nice day!" the handsome black man said and got out.

"Bye!" I said.

Then I took the woman and her drugs to California and Larkin.

2 Comments:

At 10/09/2007 03:33:00 PM, Blogger willotoons said...

wow. did she look like a druggie?

 
At 10/09/2007 03:59:00 PM, Blogger Vera said...

Yes, the combination of the neighborhood and her energy had made me suspect it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home