Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

An unexpected Lolita

A guy flagged me down at Mission and 29th. I had just completed a series of U-turns and somehow ended up in the right place at the right time, to give this guy a ride.

"Can you take me to Webster and Sacramento, please?" He said this with an accent, which I thought might be Arabic. But I'm not very good at detecting accents. 9 out of 10 times I mistake people from London for Australians.

"Sure. The medical building?"

"Yes."

We were both quiet for a long time. He smelled really, really good. It was a very sweet smell, the kind I would wear on myself. I like sweet perfumes. I wanted to say to him that he smelled like cotton candy. But it felt weird to say something like that.

As we passed the Turk street sign on Webster, I couldn't take it anymore.

"Are you wearing cologne?"

"What?"

"Are you wearing cologne?"

"Yes, uh, I am."

"It smells really good. I like it a lot."

"Oh, thank you. It's Lolita Lempicka. It's French."

"What is it called?"

"Lolita Lempicka."

"I really like it."

"It's like chocolate, cocoa,..."

"Yes, it's very sweet."

"Yes."

"Is it for men?"

"No. It's for women."

"You're wearing women's perfume?"

"Yes."

"That is so cool."

"Thanks."

"I have never met a guy who wore women's perfume. I think more guys should do that. It's awesome."

"I know many guys who wear women's perfume."

"You do?"

"Yes, many."

"I love it."

"Thank you." I think he giggled a little bit. I thought I heard a sound of amusement from the backseat.

He gave me a huge tip.

Apparently there are many guys who wear women's perfume. Why haven't I met any of them?

5 Comments:

At 7/20/2007 05:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm, because you don't hang out in gay bars?

 
At 7/20/2007 05:50:00 PM, Blogger Jeannine said...

yes, who, knew? I sure didn't! (just wanted to say I discovered your blog a few weeks ago, and I love it.)

 
At 7/21/2007 11:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is funny.

I'm a cabbie, and my wife (and I) wear Lolita Lempicka... though it's the men's version.

We also wear a couple of fruity scents (coconut and banana) that we can't figure out if they're for men or women.

I've always found the scents of my fares to be fascinating. I think I can tell whether people have been drinking wine, beer or hard liquor. Crab also gives itself away. As does pot. LOL.

Keep up the great stuff!

 
At 8/09/2007 09:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to wear Gucci's Rush, as well as some Donna Karan thing I can't remember. They were warmer and less musky than men's perfume.

Now I just let my old-man hair products be my scent.

Kent

 
At 8/09/2007 09:48:00 PM, Blogger Vera said...

I have Gucci Rush!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home