Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Another driver's stories

Last night I had coffee with my favorite cab driver. He has been a San Francisco driver for twelve years.

"So what's your favorite taxi story?" I asked him.

He told me about a couple in their 60's who were making out in the back of the car. It involved an exposed nipple. He took them from a fancy restaurant in San Francisco all the way to Lafayette. The nipple made its appearance on the Bay Bridge.

"So that's your favorite, huh?" I asked. He nodded.

Then he told me another one. The night driver of his taxi had taken a woman to the Hyatt Regency the night before. She had asked the night driver if he could take her to the airport at 5 in the morning. The night driver had told her that he would be off by then but that he would send the day driver. The night driver then wrote down her name, her phone number, and that she wanted to be picked up from the Hyatt Regency and taken to the airport at 5am. The night driver put the piece of paper behind the car visor. When my friend started his shift at 4am the next morning, he didn't see the note behind the visor. He started out in the Sunset that morning, and his first fare brought him from the Sunset over to 101 California, a mere two blocks from the Hyatt Regency. My friend said he never waits in hotel lines but this time there was not a single cab in line at the Hyatt Regency. He thought to himself "Hm, I'm first in line" and pulled up. A woman was standing at the hotel entrance with luggage. She said "You were supposed to pick me up. You are late." He ignored her scolding, told her to get in and took her to the airport. Later that day, when he was getting gas, he found the note behind the visor. It dawned on him that he had picked up the woman he was supposed to pick up without knowing it.

Somehow I liked this story much better than the first one.

"You're psychic," I beamed at him.

"There was something," he said.

2 Comments:

At 9/26/2007 02:02:00 PM, Blogger John said...

Welcome to the world of taxi driving and blogging.Looking forward to stories from the west coast.

 
At 9/30/2007 03:26:00 PM, Blogger I Go Pogo said...

No fair: what was the favorite story? Or is there a joke here that I, as a cab rider, don't get?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home