Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Live from the airport

I make it a habit now of waiting in line to pick up a passenger at the airport after I have dropped somebody off. I ended up at the airport around 1pm today. I find the scene fascinating down there. That's why I recorded several videos today.

In the first one I was trying to record the sound of engines starting up as cabs are getting ready to keep moving, but right when I started recording, the cars stopped moving, so all you hear is some Arabic (I think?) being spoken around me and some commentary by me about which cab colors I like best.



In the second one you actually hear some engines starting up, some cabs leaving the lot and new ones filing in, and in the end you hear me say "Oh shit!" because I realized that it's my turn to turn on my own engine and keep moving. It was hilarious. But maybe you had to be there and be me.



The third video takes place in the last lot before the terminal, and I am starting to get very excited.



The last video was shot at the terminal. I was minutes away from getting my fare.



Ah, airport adventures.

9 Comments:

At 5/01/2007 09:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember how I found your blog but I love it! I'm a former SF resident and was fascinted by the cab culture. How long does the process usually take at the airport? From when you first get there until you get a fare?

 
At 5/01/2007 09:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

y'know Vera, every now and again I check your blog just because I know it will cheer me up. It is nice to know that you are out there living well, and by that I mean living a good life. I enjoy you. Thanks.

 
At 5/02/2007 01:28:00 PM, Blogger Frau Haselmayer said...

these videos bring back some good memories although i'm not that excited about cabs...but it reminds me of getting on the ferry to sweden were you had to wait in differnt lanes as well. i loved waiting there and waiting for being instruced to proceed. so i can understand completey your excitement about that.

and then it makes me almost smell the airport air. it has always been very special to me to take this first, deep breath of hot, humid airport air after arriving in florida. how i miss that...how i miss going there. the air just smells completely different than in germany.
sometimes - on very few occasions - i get a breeze of a similar smell when getting out of the car in a parking garage or when getting out of a supermarket when the weather is warm and sticky...and it makes me remember how much i miss that smell...

 
At 5/02/2007 10:59:00 PM, Blogger Vera said...

Melissa,
I have only done the process three times so far, but I am told the average waiting time is an hour and 20 minutes.

 
At 5/06/2007 07:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would I watch these videos when I already spend so much time waiting at the airport? I guess it's just cool to see it through someone else's eyes. Keep it up!

-Gavin

 
At 5/17/2007 01:48:00 AM, Blogger Eugene Salomon said...

Hi - I just discovered your blog, love it, and have added it to my own blogroll. I have a question for you - how do you get videos to upload onto your blog? Do they have to come via YouTube? I have a video function on my digital camera (Sony Cybershot) and have tried unsuccessfully to upload a couple of videos as I would a photo. How do you do it?

 
At 5/17/2007 09:40:00 PM, Blogger Vera said...

I use YouTube.

 
At 5/17/2007 11:05:00 PM, Blogger Eugene Salomon said...

Thanks, I'll try it. And good luck with your green cab. We have some Prius cabs on the streets here in NYC, too, as well as hybrid Ford Escapes. Definitely the way to go for taxis.

 
At 2/02/2009 10:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vera;

I just discovered your blogspot today and really enjoyed, being a brand new day-cab driver (Yellow) in SF. Though I do not have enough knowledge of SF geography, I have accepted this job and promised to work harder. Your blog has given me a lot of ideas. I will love visiting this again and again.

-Bijaya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home