Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Bridal Cabbie

Today I drove a taxi in a wedding dress. I have been saving this one up for just the right time. You really have to be in the right mood to pull that off. Today was the day and guess what: It was Good Friday, and boy, was it ever a good one.

I am glad I waited to wear the wedding dress though because it does get you a lot of attention, and it is very uncomfortable to get in and out of the car in, and you really have to be prepared to deal with all that comes with that. And today I was prepared to deal with all of that, and I had a super fun day.

Early in the morning I stopped at Ritual to get some coffee and a scone. The girl at Ritual said

"Hi. You look really nice. All dressed up."

"Thank you."

The other girl at Ritual said

"Hi. Are you getting married today?"

"No. I wish."

"Keep walking around Valencia Street dressed like this, and all the girls will start dressing like this."

Some of my passengers said things like

"Is it a special occasion?"

"What are you wearing?"

"You look like you're having a lot of fun."

"You look fabulous and just seeing you today made me better." (He had AIDS.)

"We have to ask - is there a story behind your outfit?"

"Are you wearing an Easter dress?"

I answered most of the questions by explaining that I sometimes wear costumes while driving and today I was dressed up as a bride.

Halfway through the day I stopped at Momi Toby's for a bagel. The girl who worked there gave me a chocolate Easter bunny when I left.

"Now you have a bunny to match your outfit. Now you can tell people that it's your boyfriend's bunny and that you are getting married."

"Thanks!"

On the way back to the car a truck full of guys honked at me. I waved at them. They said

"Where is the groom!"

I waved the chocolate Easter bunny at them.

"Aaaahh!" they said.

I think my favorite part of the day was that I was creating strange imagery: a bride walking across the street carrying a to-go container of coffee, a bride getting into the driver's seat of a taxi, a bride lifting a wheelchair into the trunk of a car. There is imagery in every moment of life but today these moments seemed somehow more artistic. I felt a little bit like a filmmaker.

4 Comments:

At 4/07/2007 12:27:00 AM, Blogger Nadia said...

You are the coolest, Vera!

 
At 4/07/2007 12:33:00 PM, Blogger amy.leblanc said...

that sounds like *so much fun*. go you for making more fun in the world!!! and you look super cute, too. :)

 
At 4/09/2007 10:37:00 AM, Blogger orange said...

i love what you said about imagery. it's a wonderful way to think about how our attention to our presentation of self affects others :)

 
At 4/09/2007 06:37:00 PM, Blogger Vera said...

That's right, miss master at creating orange imagery. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home