Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

A final party

I was dispatched to 16th and Guerrero. After waiting for about five minutes, a hurried-looking girl with glasses and a huge yellow vintage duffel bag carried a tray of food to the cab. The smell of the food reminded me of my mom's homemade pizza.

"Is that... pizza?" I asked.

"No. But I'm glad you think so. It's a vegan dish with lima beans."

"No tomatoes?"

"No."

"Hm. I wonder what reminded me of pizza then. Maybe some kind of spice?"

"Thyme."

"Yes, thyme. That must be it."


After a beat:

"I feel bad. I'm running late for my final."

"Your final at school?"

"Yeah, this is the only final I am actually participating in. The teacher is really cool. She said 'Final? What's a final? Oh, you mean the final party!' So today we're having a potluck and clothing exchange."

"So that bag is full of clothes you are getting rid of?"

"Yes."

"How cool."

"I know."

Hearing that people were having a final like this at SF State made me seriously happy.

2 Comments:

At 5/25/2008 04:38:00 PM, Blogger Paradise Driver said...

Good story. I was wondering if you were going to show up this month.

 
At 5/28/2008 06:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That definitely is cool how they are doing that for their final.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home