Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Phew


Me after
Originally uploaded by Verabug
It was my first day driving with my new haircut. I was afraid of people judging me. My first customer that day was extremely pleasant. It was a guy who appeared to be in his 50's. He got into my cab at the Marriott on 4th Street. He was very friendly and asked me how I was doing. He had no luggage and was going to the airport. He said he wanted to go to the International arrivals terminal. I told him I didn't think I had ever dropped anybody off at the arrivals terminal. It was always the departures terminal. He said

"It's nice to contribute to the diversity in someone's day."

"Indeed. I think that's something we can all inspire to," I said. And to myself I thought 'I feel like that's what I'm doing with my new haircut. I'm glad he understands.'

He was picking up his son, who had just been in China for a year, teaching English. I asked him what his son was going to do next in life, now that he was coming back from China. He said he didn't know but that he was thinking about working on an oil rig.

"I told him to do everything he wants to do while he's young. It's not good to look back on your life later and regret things you didn't do."

This pleased me. I think it's a great attitude for a parent to have, a rather uncommon one too, what with all this striving for productivity and getting ahead. I told him this. I also told him that I used to put a lot of energy into getting ahead, and that I didn't start doing the things I wanted to do until I burnt out.

"And that's why now, in my early 30's, I am driving a cab because that's something I had always wanted to do," I said.

"You're in your early 30's?"

"Yes."

"No. Let me look at you. I thought you were much younger."

I laughed. I also wanted to kiss him, not only because he thought I looked much younger than I am, but also because he didn't mind looking at me with my new haircut.

3 Comments:

At 8/13/2008 10:42:00 AM, Blogger John said...

Well no comment about the haircut.
I drive a Toyta Prius here in Dublin Ireland. Anyone have any problems yet?
I imported my car from Japan directly. its great 63 MPG in the city, my last car did 25 MPG.
Keep up the blog. I gave you a link a while back.

 
At 8/13/2008 01:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Vera,
I'm so happy to have found your blog. I drove a taxi for a couple of years in Monterey and really liked it. Made a few trips to SF. I kind of miss it. I was looking for a link back to taxi life... and found your site. I'm going to make a link to you on my blog if that's ok. I'm at http://cab83.wordpress.com
It was supposed to be a taxi blog, but it ended up being pretty random.
Thanks for the stories of (almost) home.
Kind regards,
Seth

 
At 12/17/2008 05:08:00 PM, Blogger Gusgamashuq Abunoori said...

You are a beautiful taxi driver.
You may be green (and I yellow) but we are one beautiful network of hardworking people on the streets of our beautiful cities. I think SF and NYC are among the very few worthwhile towns to live in (USA) and serve as cabdrivers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home