Day Cabbie

San Francisco taxi stories from one of the very rare female drivers

Love works

On the way back from the airport I had a lady in my cab that I would describe as bitchy. I made this judgment after overhearing two of her phone conversations. The first one, I assumed, was with a client/customer.

After establishing their names, she said to him impatiently "Can I help you?" And for the rest of the conversation her tone and choice of words made it very apparent that she had no interest whatsoever in helping him or talking to him. After hanging up, she said "God!" and I could hear her eyes roll back into her skull.

The next thing I heard out of her head was "You are the most annoying person in North America!" I got really tense but then relaxed slightly when I realized that she was not talking to me but to someone on the phone again.

"You knew I was flying to the West Coast this morning. What made you think I would be able to answer the phone?"

Bitch, bitch, bitch, on she went. I noticed that my body was still tense, and I thought 'I can't wait to get this woman out of my cab.'

She had two more phone conversations that appeared to be with family members or close friends and that were much milder in tone, in which she used words like "honey" and "love you."

I was still slightly frustrated about the negative air with which she had filled my cab earlier, but instead of sending her negative vibes in return, I decided to send her love. I breathed out and imagined love emanating from my heart and finding its way directly to her.

When I pulled up in front of the W Hotel a few blocks later, she said chipperly "Oh, we're here, aren't we?"

"Yes, we are," I said, relieved.

"I'm always surprised by the lack of hotel driveways here in San Francisco," she said in a honeyed voice. Then she told me that she didn't even remember which hotel she had stayed in the last time she came to San Francisco--from LA, she added--and that she was looking forward to dining at the Slanted Door later in the day.

She gave me a big tip. I was torn between feeling proud and manipulative for having made her stop being a bitch.

14 Comments:

At 5/05/2009 05:42:00 PM, Blogger Cadence said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5/05/2009 06:22:00 PM, Blogger Cadence said...

Sending love seem like a good thing. If you think of the Universal life force as love, then why not?

Improving things one at a time seems like an awesome way to be.

Happy Bday!

-Shu

 
At 5/05/2009 09:18:00 PM, Blogger tiferet said...

That's not manipulation, that's public service.

 
At 5/06/2009 03:42:00 PM, Anonymous dorki said...

It would be good for us all to try what you did. Some of the jerks we meet do finally "get it". But it is usually by osmosis.

 
At 5/18/2009 02:52:00 PM, Blogger Gusgamashuq Abunoori said...

you're awesome!

 
At 5/29/2009 12:01:00 AM, Blogger Eugene Salomon said...

I suspect some of the great events in history have been instigated by former flies on the wall. Nice story.

 
At 6/11/2009 08:53:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I think awesome over manipulative. You only fed her the worms and she decided to take the bait! Love your blog and you are now my favorite cabbie. Come stop by to see another San Franciscan blog...

 
At 1/13/2010 12:39:00 PM, Anonymous Zmey-sky said...

I don't think you stopped her from being a bitch or changed her personality in any way. You have just encountered a rich bitch who is well accustomed to service industry and tipping policies.

 
At 9/25/2011 03:02:00 PM, Blogger Henry Krinkle said...

"I started driving a taxi in April 2006. I like it. It's very fun."

Do you ever get jaded with the job? I loved it when I started, but became increasingly agitated. Most of it had to do with the management...

I just started a blog about my experiences and a fellow friend and taxi blogger referred me to your site. I linked back to your site on my blog. Check it out if you get a chance -

http://corruptionincortez.blogspot.com/

Take care - Henry

 
At 9/12/2013 10:34:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I dig the story. I don't think such fun stuff happens with the taxi in Bonita Springs FL. The city just isn't quite big enough for it.

 
At 10/15/2014 11:50:00 PM, Blogger i believe i can fly said...

great people great work well written story Metro Taxi

 
At 7/28/2015 12:33:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Some time we fail to judge about the personality of someone. Visit us at: airport taxi detroit

 
At 10/18/2015 05:13:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've enjoyed the story. Nice work done by you. You can hire Detroit airport taxi any time. We are available 24/7.

 
At 1/28/2016 03:53:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

In a situation like that, you did great by not jumping into her cheap emotion. You don't know what she can do. I always encounter like the same situation with you and I always take cautions about it. Better to do our duty and ignore the people that can potentially hurt us.

http://www.irvingcab.com/airport-shuttle-to-dfw/ | http://www.irvingcab.com/limo-service-in-irving-tx/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home